The 2017 Long Beach Comic Expo returns to the Long Beach Convention Center this weekend, taking place over two days in all its glory. Returning to Hall C and the Pacific Promenade area, hundreds of local comic book writers and artists will travel here to exhibit their merchandise, art, books, toys, and more. Eager fans can gain access to the entire show floor for $30 per person for Saturday, $25 for Sunday, or $50 for both days, with children 10 and under entering free with a paid adult admission. In addition to the expo on the show floor, various workshops and seminars will occur in the surrounding meeting rooms for those who register ahead of time. Diehard fans will recognize the various celebrities sitting in for meet & greet and autograph sessions.
Some general tips to make your visit pleasant:
- Peak time: 12pm-2pm on Saturday, as you will encounter the most amount of cosplayers at this time
- Wear comfortable shoes, as you will walk a lot.
- I advise staying for as long as possible to see more and interact with other attendees. Also have enough energy to last the entire time.
- While mostly indoors, a lot of the cosplayers like to hang out outside for photo shoots. Regardless, it would behoove you to dress for chilly or possibly rainy weather.
- Have extra cash available for food as well as merchandise if you think you will buy something inside the expo.
- Get into character! Even if you cannot dress up, cosplayers love to act their part and interact with others.
- Expect to take a lot of photos, so bring an extra camera or power bank for smartphones.
- I know we normally tell our kids to not talk to strangers, but at this event, attendees encourage others to chat with the cosplayers, especially children.
Even to those not interested in comics, everyone should attend a comic expo/con just to see everyone dressing up in costume. At any expo involving comics, video games, anime, manga, and more, any attendee cannot avoid seeing another guest participating in the inevitable cosplay for the duration of the event. Cosplay has turned into a staple for any sort of expo in this industry, and the fans proudly don their best gear for this expo.