Craft beer reigns supreme in Southern California, but some areas see a different spread of the distribution of craft beer than others. For example, Anaheim has lots of breweries so close to each other, but not much in the way of gastropubs or festivals. Conversely, Long Beach boasts lots of craft beer-friendly establishments and beer festivals, but houses very few breweries compared to surrounding cities. In fact, another beer festival comes to Long Beach this weekend, as Cal State Long Beach hosts their 1st Annual Long Beach Craft Beer Festival. Benefiting the CSULB Hospitality Department, this craft beer celebration covers two days of award-winning beers from across the nation.
On Friday night, two events will occur on campus. A beer pairing dinner will take place in the Chartroom in the university student union hosted by the one-and-only Dr. Bill Sysak himself. This will include eight different pairings, and costs $150 per person or $1,500 per table of ten. Also on this night, a brewers’ reception will take place at The Nugget at the university’s dining hall, open to the industry only. However, those who attend the beer pairing dinner will not only get to attend the brewers’ reception, but also receive VIP admission to the beer festival the following afternoon.
This Saturday afternoon, the beer festival will take place on the grass field inside the Jack Rose track & field stadium. This festival features over 50 different breweries, over 100 different beers, many food trucks, live entertainment, and more. General admission costs $49 and starts at 2pm, while VIP admission costs $64 and starts at 1pm. All tickets come with a $5 coupon for Legends Sports Bar. All attendees receive unlimited beer samples while supplies last, and all beers cease pouring at 5pm. No one under 21 may attend.
- REMEMBER to bring PHOTO ID! Amazingly, many guests think they can enter without showing it to the front security.
- Park on the north side of campus coming in from Atherton. Guests will park in the parking structure adjacent to the track, and then walk to the track from there.
- Bring $7 cash for parking. Alternatively, guests may consider riding a bike here, as the campus provides plenty of free bicycle parking racks.
- Food come at a separate cost, so anyone wanting to eat should arrive with extra cash. Click here for a list of attending restaurants and food trucks.
- The venue provides minimal shade, so consider applying sunscreen prior to your arrival, and have extra sunscreen available. Security will not confiscate sunscreen from you.
- Stay hydrated prior to and throughout the festival.
- Dress appropriately for hot weather. Southern California has seen a heat wave recently, and the combination of heat and alcohol will quickly lead to dehydration.
- For prolonged drinking, start with lighter beers and work your way to stronger beers. Click here for a list of attending breweries.
- Try to hold on to your beer glass – guests receive no replacement for lost or broken glasses.
- All beers stop pouring at 5pm. Please do not badger anyone pouring beers for extra, as they must adhere to the ABC laws.
- Please leave the venue responsibly. Consider hailing for a taxi, Uber, or Lyft out of the venue. Sponsored by the venue, use the RideYellow app with promo code GOBEACH for $15 off your first ride, and 25% off all future rides in Long Beach.